Originally Doug trained at the Royal College of Art, London
graduating with an MA. He then studied Architecture at the Architectural
Association, graduating in 1974, formed his own design practice and
spent the next 25 years designing on a wide variety of projects, ranging
from film sets to a private 28-suite yacht. Doug also carried out
numerous architectural and artwork commissions in USA, Tajikistan, Saudi
Arabia, Greece, Russia, Cuba, India and England.
During the past five years he has been retracing the journeys of three
18th and 19th century travelling artists who recorded the three great
world faiths - Islam, Buddhism and Orthodox Christianity. This has
involved sketching and painting Islamic mosques and monuments in north
Africa and India, Buddhist Dzongs in Bhutan and the Christian orthodox
monasteries of Mount Athos and Meteora in Greece.
Exhibitions During the past 20 years: He has had numerous one man
exhibition and major commissions including various portfolio
- 1995 Identification Artwork. Enamel Panels. Bank, Underground Station London. Client: London Underground
- 1997 Platform Artworks. Whitechapel Underground Station, London. Client: London Underground
- 1999 Dubai Portfolio. Client: Lotus Computers
- 2000 The Palaces of Rajahstan. Client: Indian Heritage
- 2001 Commenced the Mount Athos collection for a private client
- 2002 - 2005 Design Director for the design of a private villa in
Paulo Alto, California, United States of America.
- 2003 12 lithographs of the monastery of Saint Catherine Sinai, Egypt. Client: The St Catherine's Foundation
- 2004 Assam portfolio illustrating a boat journey on the mighty Brahmaputra river from Guwahati to Sibsagar. Client: Assam Bengal Navigation Company
- 2004 - 2007 Embarked on the Bhutan collection to illustrate the 20 Buddhist monasteries and Dzongs of the Kingdom of Bhutan. Land of the Thunder Dragon in association with the Tarayama Foundation Bhutan.
- 2007 - 2010 The complete rebuild of
the Neraida 60 metre yacht Greece / Croatia / Germany.
- 2007 - 2011 Design Director for the design of a private villa on
the south coast of England.
- 2007 - 2012 Design Director for the design of a private villa in
Macedonia Northern Greece
- 2010 Artist in Paradise Exhibition at the National Theatre
Gallery - South Bank London of the artwork from Mount Athos, Bhutan,
North Africa and India.
- 2011 Sacred Places Project. Doug is in the process of visiting
20 sacred places in the world and documenting in artwork and sound
recording the various journeys. He intends exhibiting the complete
collection in 2015.
- 2010 - 2011 Doug travelled by boat on the Hooghly and Ganges
rivers India. Commissioned by The Assam Bengal Navigation Company to
prepare artwork for an illustrated portfolio of the journey, which
also forms project 7 of Sacred places in the world.